As Edith Head said, “Your dresses should be tight enough to show you’re a woman and loose enough to show you’re a lady.” And my mother told me that ladies don’t show their panties in public. If you’re making the Romantic Tulle Skirt try using a fabric lining that matches or compliments your tulle. This tutorial requires that you make your own pattern, but don’t worry it’s not that difficult. This lining includes a gathered skirt and French Seams to increase ease and durability.
Soundtrack: Dude Looks Like a Lady by Aerosmith
Time: 1-2 hours
1 1/2 yards of lining fabric
1 brown paper grocery bag
matching sewing thread
1. Measure your waist and hips with your measuring tape. Using the figure below as a guide, divide your waist measurement by two then add 3″ inches. Then, divide your hip measurement by two then add 4 inches.
2. On a brown paper bag, draw out a line for the waist straight across the top edge. At the middle line of your pattern draw a line at a right angle down 26 inches to your hemline.
3. Then, using a ruler, draw the distance of your hip measurement at a 90 degree angle from your hemline.
3. Cut your pattern out of your brown paper bag.
5. Cut the fabric around your pattern. Then repeat STEP FOUR so that you have two equal pieces.
6. For this simple lining, we’re using French seams, otherwise known as covered seams, to finish lining. Pin the wrong sides of your fabric together then sew a 1/4″ inch seam on the skirt sides. Trim the salvage.
7. Flip your lining inside out then press the seam closed with a light iron and secure with dress pins. Sew 1/4″ seam along the edges to cover the seam.
8. For your Romantic Tulle Skirt, remember the “wrong” side of the fabric will be against your skin on the inside of the skirt and the smooth outside will be next to the to the skin.
9. Roll a 1/2 inch hem on the bottom edge of your skirt and steam closed with an iron.
10. Roll your hem a second time then stitch closed.
11. Baste stitch 1/2 inch from the edge of your waist line then gather the seam. You will use line to attach the waist of your Romantic Tulle Skirt.